AMCREST 960H 16CH Video Security System – Eight 800+TVL Bullet IP66 Weatherproof Cameras (Black) facts, interesting information with costumer testimonials who previously purchased plus best price together with pretty nice discount.
Placing a surveillance DVR in your home is simple since it comes with instructions about how to arranged it up. Thus, you will be guided step by step about how to set it up and how to use it. These kinds of DVRs come in every forms and all sizes. As well as surveillance DVRs that come by means of pens and flashlights. Do not be surprised if you discovered being recorded at a friend’s home. You can even convert your laptop or your computer’s desktop computer as a monitoring system. The USB slot of your laptop can be converted into a DVR. How’s that for a surveillance machine and you do not have to buy a complete new system. You just have to get a DVR card that can fit in the slot of your existing laptop. The most common types of card are the PCI card. These kinds of cards can accommodate up to 16 channel versions and each channel needs one camera. Thus, you decide how many cameras you will require for your home.
This product made by Amcrest become one of the top recomended Surveillance DVR Kits since a lot of buyers happy after using this product. In addition to its features, the best price also becomes a factor. This is a review about AMCREST 960H 16CH Video Security System – Eight 800+TVL Bullet IP66 Weatherproof Cameras (Black), a product favored by costumers and have a lot of beneficial reviews. We will present to you customer reviews, product features, descriptions, and a variety of other interesting things. Happy reading.
AMCREST 960H 16CH Video Security System – Eight 800+TVL Bullet IP66 Weatherproof Cameras (Black) Details and Reviews
1266 of 1319 people found the following review helpful.
Comprehensive guide to buying a home video security system
Before getting in to this review please note that the seller offers several different models at this page, all under the same heading. Therefore some of the reviews you read may be intended for a different model other than the one you are interested in. To be clear, this review is for the model AMDV960H4.
A friend recently installed a very similar home video security system that is one of the most popular models being sold at the big membership warehouse club. I was able to compare this one feature-for-feature with that model, which sells for about the same price. Read on to learn what to look for when you are shopping for a video security system.
In a consumer electronics industry where “bigger is better” is being pushed at us all the time, is that the case with a home security system? For example, do you really need HDTV cameras and a 3 TB hard drive? Do you want a completely wireless system? Which features are “must have” and which are gimmicks?
Here are a few basics if this is your first video security system. These pointers are intended to help you choose the most basic and important features, you may want or need other options to suit your particular installation:
1. Highest resolution – not a necessity, the higher the resolution the more hard disk space it takes and with some systems the more it will cause your smartphone to stutter or freeze. You are not producing a Hollywood movie; however you do need enough resolution to be able to identify intruders or license tags. The resolution of the camera sensor is not always an absolute indication of how sharp the picture will be, the optical lens also has a lot to do with it. The Amcrest has higher-than-average resolution and good optics.
2. Largest hard drive – this one is one of the major fallacies of choosing a security system. For most people a hard drive that records for 30 days is useless on modern systems that alert you immediately of an intrusion. You only need video evidence of an intrusion, not a month’s worth of no activity. How will you possibly be able to review a month’s worth of footage? Even 1 week is too much for most people unless they travel a lot for extended periods and may not be able to “check in” from remote locations. The best choice is to set the system to record ONLY when a camera detects motion and record that for evidence while alerting you via smartphone. Also be aware that if the drive gets full and there has not been an intrusion, it simply goes back and records over the now unnecessary footage. This model Amcrest I am reviewing records for 6 days before starting over. Amcrest has models that can record more more.
3. Color at night – useless. Most systems can be set to switch to monochrome at dark. Even then don’t expect the infrared LED’s to give you a highly detailed picture beyond about 20′. Be sure you can switch from daylight to night modes, including remotely from your phone. The Amcrest cameras give me a view of my entire back yard at night and I can read license tags of cars parked out front.
4. Lots of cameras – for a typical house, even a large one, four cameras should cover basic security needs. Be sure to include entrances and windows but don’t point the camera right at any window or you will only end up with a silhouette of the intruder. Try to point it 90 degrees to the window so you can include the whole act of entry. The same is true of direct or reflected sunlight, it can make ID’ing a suspect impossible. You may want additional cameras if you need to monitor intrusion to outdoor buildings like sheds, to check on pets, media rooms, etc.
5. Camera visibility – there are two schools of thought here. One is that someone seeing security cameras will move on to the next house and not risk the chance. Another is that the presence of security cameras equates to valuables and they will try to find a way to disable them. Put the cameras where they will be the most effective of catching someone BEFORE they break in to your house. Don’t install the camera at the front door pointing away to see who is approaching but rather point it AT the front door so you can see if they are breaking in or stealing packages left at the door.
6. UPS – no not the parcel delivery service but an Uninterruptable Power Supply (a backup battery). Video security systems record on a hard drive and in many ways are like your home computer. A sudden loss of power or surge can destroy the electronics. And when the power comes back on they may not start up properly and resume recording. That makes them useless to you. Invest in a UPS that will keep the system running at least for a short time during a power outage and will help perform a soft shut-down. By the way, a favorite trick of burglars when they see video security is to shut your power off. If your system is still recording on battery power at least it can alert you of an intrusion so you can call authorities. To have that happen it will be necessary to also plug your modem and router into the USP (not a bad idea anyway).
7. Wireless – home security cameras are a major project to install, how nice it would be to just screw a camera into a wall and have it work. Someday maybe. While wireless cameras sound like the perfect solution, remember you are protecting the security of your home. You need a dependable system. Wireless systems are not dependable. The Amcrest systems use dependable hard wires.
HOW DOES THE AMCREST STACK UP?
All things considered there is very little lacking in the basic and advanced capabilities of this system. Documentation is very thorough and well-written and presented at a level most first time users will be able to understand. The controls are very intuitive, almost automatic, and the cameras produce very clear video. At 960H (higher than average) the Amcrest is better than more expensive competitive brands. The physical installation is on a par with every other brand, none of them would be considered easy to install, that’s the nature of this type of product, but the setup installation is far easier than my friend’s system due to it leading you step-by-step through the process. It comes with everything you will need for an average home; including an HDMI monitor cable and mouse (you supply the monitor). You get enough cable for a typical home, and longer cables are available, usually at your local big-box hardware store. The entire list of what’s in the box is shown above in the product description. Note that you WILL need an available physical port on your router to use the network-based features. The quality of construction is about the same as more expensive brands I have seen. The size of the controller box is smaller than I expected and there were no specs at the Amazon page, but it is 10″ W x 8.75″ D x 2″ H.
This system is a good value for the price and should suit the needs of many people who want/need home video security but don’t want to pay double or triple the price. Amcrest is related to Foscam who has a very good reputation with video security and monitoring cameras, I have worked with Foscam previously and they asked if I would like to evaluate this system for them.
What makes this a 5-star system is its value. It delivers on quality, dependability, ease of setup and versatility all at an affordable price. There are no tricks or gotchas, it does what it should do (and much more for the more advanced enthusiast). This product is recommended.
815 of 847 people found the following review helpful.
Picture quality is great 2. Night vision is amazing
My first outdoor security camera system and straight up this is what sold me on this one over any others on Amazon…. 1. Picture quality is great 2. Night vision is amazing. 3. I have an app on my iPhone and works great every time. Last thing that really sold me was I called a couple of customer service companies phone numbers to ask questions about the product and amcrest was the ONLY one who answered the phone EVERY TIME and answered all my questions. GREAT PRODUCT very cool to see on my phone all the cameras from work.
356 of 372 people found the following review helpful.
Caught crooks 12 hours after installing!
1) Cameras are heavy-duty metal, not plastic.
2) Set-up was pretty easy. I learn more from visual examples instead of a manual, so if you are like me I suggest you review the various Youtube video’s instead of the manual. Most folks don’t read instructions, but at least check out the video’s first.
3) Iphone app was fairly easy, but had to make adjustments in the phone settings for it to work. Problem is, I have too many internet users at home, so my supply of internet won’t support all of the users and the HDCVI. Not a big deal because when you’re away you can simply connect it up to the router then.
4) Had a small technical issue five days after installation, but Amcrest made it right and very fast.
5) I purchased the 4 camera system, but I highly suggest you buy the 8 camera system because once you see the cameras in person, you will want more viewing angles. Since you can’t add cameras to a 4 camera system, you are better served getting the 8 system and only use the number of cameras you want/need. I now wish I had the capability to add 2 more cameras. The system works just fine with 1 hooked up or all connected. So it’s better to have the ability to add more if needed.
6) The most impressive thing is one of the cameras aided the Police to identify burglars in the neighborhood only 12 hours after initial installation! When the Police came to review the footage, I had to “learn up” quick on how to review the recorded footage.
Bottom line is most electronics are made in China, but I believe there are certain grades of products made there. The Amcrest 720P is not the cheapest grade and probably a higher grade than you would find at your local box store retailer or home supply warehouse. I like the 720P over the 960H because it’s much clearer and has a wider viewing angle.
I will be referring this product to my friends.
Features of this product
- 8 Hd 800+ Tvl Bullet Cameras For Excellent Video Quality & Clarity Views & Records In Widescreen With Remote Viewing On IPad/iPhone & Android Devices Via The Amcrest Link App
- Pre-installed 1tb Hard Drive (expandable Up To 3tb) For 6 Days Continuous Recording At Highest Resolution
- Weatherproof (ip66) For Indoor/outdoor Use
- 984ft Transmission Distance From Cameras To Dvr
A whole lot of crimes are occurring in the home. This kind of has increased the need to have a security system in your own home. Parents and homeowners aren’t always at home. Hence, important things and people are left at home unprotected and unsafe from people who are to be able to do them harm. Since parents are gone for long periods of time everyday, a monitoring DVR is the only thing that can handle this as compared to VCRs that can simply manage small amounts of time.